It’s a cliché but it is very true: the foundation of a man’s outfit are in his shoes. I mean that literally and figuratively. You can guess the personality and destination of man by checking out his shoes. Is he going for a run or a walk in the park? Is he going to the office, or maybe the club? The power of an outfit lies on the shoes – they could make or break an entire outfit. Hopefully, this post helps solve a dilemma of what shoes to wear and when to wear them.
Based on events, there are two categories of shoes:
- Shoes you wear to Semi-formal/Casual events
- The ones you wear to Formal events
Though it might seem like much thought shouldn’t be put into these events, men still find themselves in a bit of a jumble as to what shoes to pick and understandably so. There are a few factors to consider when choosing shoes; what is the weather like outside? Would I have to take off my shoes at any point? Things like that…Here are a few quick solutions to this headache:
- Canvas Lace-ups: Vans, Toms and any plimsoll fall in here. At least a pair is a must on every shoe rack! They are the obvious choice for almost any casual event. It is important to pick single-coloured ones to keep it classy. Personally, I prefer black because it goes with anything. Canvas Lace-ups are really really cheap too.
- Suede Loafers: These go perfectly with shorts or jeans. If you wore a denim top and a pair of khaki bottoms, suede loafers would be perfect as well.
- Leather Loafers: Also a must-have for every man! This is the perfect halfway-line for men who neither want to look too formal nor too casual. The simplest choice for semi-formal events.
- Sandals: These are classy but restricted. The weather must be warm enough for you to feel comfortable exposing your feet. Unless you’re at the beach or going for a swim, you probably wouldn’t want to wear sandals if you’ll be stepping on sand or hovering around water. Under perfect conditions though, it doesn’t get simpler and more comfortable than sandals.
Dressing up for formal events can feel overly complicated. It is usually easier to pick your dress outfit than it is to pick your shoes. It doesn’t have to be that hard though and here are a few options to simplify the mystery:
- Brogues: These are leather lace-ups with decorative perforations and patterns around its edges. I love them because they add a casual touch to the formal look.
- Patent Leather Lace-ups: The natural pick for black tie events on your Tux or full suits. They could even add some flavour on a smart casual outfit.
- Oxfords: These never let you down. They are designed as day to day shoes that can be worn to the office, a wedding reception, any occasion whatsoever.
There you go: a shortlist of what shoes to wear and when to wear them.
Remember this: no matter what the occasion is, the shoes must be NEAT and SHARP. The importance of this cannot be emphasized enough.
See you in the comments section 🙂